The Sterling Group was founded by Larry Swank in 1976 with the incorporation of Sterling Management, Ltd.
In its early years, development and management of small, rural communities was the primary focus of the organization, which spent a limited amount of energy in construction and acquisitions for the first several years. Some of the company's milestones include:
- 1977 - Larry's 1st Development - 68-unit RD property in Syracuse, IN
- 1978 - 1st Acquisition - 4-unit rental property in Milford, IN
- 1982 - Sterling Construction Corporation was created
- 1986 - 1st Construction Deal - 50-unit market rate property in Nappanee, IN
- 1986 - Mini Storage Depot was established
- 1992 - Sterling Development was created
- 2003 - Sterling Acquisitions was created
- 2004 - 925 Committee revised the Mission Statement and created the Guiding Principles
- 2012 - Lance Swank appointed President to oversee all operations
A tremendous amount of growth has occurred since the inception of Sterling; however, the focus on the Mission Statement has remained a consistent and very integral part of all of the Sterling entities. Every Sterling meeting and training event, whether it is at the Executive level, corporate, property or department, begins by reading the Mission Statement.
Today, Larry Swank is the CEO and Lance Swank is the President of Sterling Group. Both are involved on a daily basis and work closely with the Executive Team and investors in the daily operations of the Sterling Group, which employs approximately 250 individuals. Sterling oversees multifamily properties and self-storage facilities in over 15 states through the Midwest and Southeast.